THE GRECO-ROMAN MUSEUM OF ALEXANDRIA
- The museum was first built in 1892 as a small building located on Horreya Road. In 1895 it was transferred to the present site near Gamal Abdul Nasser Road.
- It started with eleven galleries, and has been gradually enlarged in later reformation stages. The 25th gallery was inaugurated in 1984.It contains a very big variety of coins from different countries, chronologically arranged, and dating back from 630 BC to the Ottoman period in the 19 th century.
- The collection, which covers the period from the 3rd century BC to the 7th century AD, is a fascinating record of civilization in the process of change as religions merged and society evolved.
- The museum contains hundreds of precious antiques.
- A visitor can see fine mosaics, an Alexandrine specialty, including one of a ship sailing, done with colored pebbles set in cement. This is the earliest type of mosaic made!!!!!
- The museum even has a Sculpture Garden, which is full of spectacular statues and artifacts.